Thursday, December 01, 2011

Meet Elsie.

I have been watching Ellen Stumbo's blog for quite a while now.
She has an amazing family, with a beautiful story.
She had a brilliant idea of making a community for families who live with Cerebral Palsy.
I love this.
One thing that I have found, there is not much in a way of support system when it comes to CP.
I would love to meet other families with these Angels.
I would love to meet adults who live with Cerebral Palsy....maybe give me an insight of what Elsie's future might look like.
I am joining in on this community.....so bear with me as I re-introduce our family for those in my new community who will be stopping by our blog.
*****
Meet Elsie Rose.
Elsie is 5 years old.
This little girl is the sunshine of our lives.
She has amazed us her whole life....and continues to amaze us every day.
She has a smile that you can't help to smile back at.
Elsie is loved and adored by her brother and sisters.
As well as her Mom and Dad.
She is our inspiration and our motivation.
We are always looking for ways to make her life as good as it can be.
And she is always willing to give our ideas a try.
Always with that smile.
Elsie has Cerebral Palsy.
Elsie can do many things.....but a lot of things are still hard for her.
She works so very hard to do the things that we all take advantage of.
She is on the milder end of CP, but still, she has her challenges to overcome.
CP is very different for anyone who has it.
There is a very broad spectrum.
I don't know if we are doing everything right with her.
I often wonder if we do too much for her.
She can't dress herself.
She can't get on the toilet herself, although she is potty trained :)
She can walk beautifully, but needs some help when we leave the comfort of our home.
Her startle reflex is very sensitive, so she does fall a lot due to that.
Poor girls legs are covered in bruises.
We stretch, and practice stairs, and try to bend and squat.
I want to help her be as self-reliant as possible.
But some things just aren't possible, not yet anyway.
I am often worried about how she will be treated in school.
She is in preschool right now through the school system.
They love....no ADORE her there.
The kids, the teachers.
Elsie has an amazing support system.
So many people who have become a part of our family because of their connection with her and all they do to make her life better.
Everyone is so great with her.
Like I said, that smile is contagious.
Even the crossing guards can't help but smile at her.
But I also worry that people will assume she is not smart based on how she speaks, or how she walks.
That breaks my heart.
This girl is a smart cookie.
She is clever and funny.
And she enjoys life.
I can't help but think that as she grows up.....people will feel her sweet spirit.
Like they do now.
And love her and cherish her for all that she has to offer.
And for the inspiration she is.
Just like we do.
I hope we can give her the best life possible.
She sure makes ours amazing.

Stumbo Family Story

Also......
If you would like to read Elsie's story, I documented it earlier this year in these 4 post.
Thanks for stopping by :)

 Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4 .

And a video of her latest accomplishment here :)

We sure love this girl!

10 comments:

Ellen Stumbo said...

Oh how is it that I had never been to your blog before?
You are a beautiful writer! I absolutely love this post. So glad I was able to find you and E is BEAUTIFUL! She does have a smile that melts hearts! Your entire family is beautiful and I love those pictures.

Ellen Stumbo said...

Ha! Just figured out how to follow your blog! It is at the very top of the page! (In case anyone else is wondering) :)

Cary said...

Hi! Just stopping by as part of CP Connection! Elsie is beautiful and like Ellen said, you are a beautiful writer! Going to start following you!

ErinL said...

What a beautiful girl! I also struggle daily with knowing if I am doing too much for our daughter (6 adopted from Ukraine in July of 2010). It's such a difficult balancing act. I wonder daily if I am doing things right. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

AZ Chapman said...

NICE TO MEET U i AM 20 AND HAVE CP IT IS ALSO MILD COME VISIT ME SOMETIME

Becky said...

Your kids are beautiful, and Elsie... oh I can see how she would be quite the charmer and everyone loves her!

I followed the link from the CP connection. We brought our Alina home from Ukraine last year at the age of 3.5. She's now 4 and doing great!

Young family said...

Kim- SO excited for you and your family that you will be connected to more wonderful people that will give you support and advice and understanding of handling CP. Elsie is an angle, and you truly are a great writer!
Like I have said before, it is amazing to be a part of your lives!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful writing! (I'm also stopping by from the CP connection!) I think even with 'typically developing' kids (I hate that term...) we all wonder if we're coddling them too much too. I do often wonder if I'm doing too much for both of my girls!

jessica Smith-fisher said...

I was thinking about you the other day. I know an 8 year old boy with CP who could use a friend. Elsie might be prefect friend, if you are interested, send me an email. Bluetulip.jessica@gmail.com. I think you are doing some wonderful work. If you are interested in getting a group together, let me know I might have some resources for you :)

jessica Smith-fisher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.