Friday, March 11, 2011

Elsie's Story- part 2

Like I said before...she became a dream baby.
I had noticed a few delays...like not rolling over....but I also knew you can't expect every kid to be the same.
I actually thought it was cause she was spoiled....she was sure held a lot!
I do remember when holding her, you couldn't sit her on your hip...you know the position mom's do most.

Elsie actually couldn't open her legs very far to go around your waist.
So I got used to holding her with her legs out front.
No big deal.
She did always feel tight, but also strangely like a rag doll at times.
It was very puzzling.
At 6 months she wasn't sitting.
That had always been the benchmark milestone, I thought.
But again, I didn't want to compare her to other kids her age.

She could be propped up pretty nicely, so no big deal.
I would bring things up to the Dr. at appointments.
And I was always told that she was just a little delayed, and she would get caught up soon.
I think Elsie was about 7 months when we decided to find a new pediatrician.

I think that was the best thing we ever did for Elsie!
That is when we found Dr. Allie.
Dr. Allie agreed with us.
She agreed that there was something up.
Elsie was way too tight.
Her feet wouldn't sit flat, eating was hard for her, and she had missed so many other early milestones.
For the first few months we just watched her.

Around 9 months or so...(I sure wish I kept better record back then)...Dr. Allie decided she would send Elsie to have some Physical Therapy done.
This is something I wrote on our myfamily website:

"Well, I took Elsie in for her 9 month appt. She weighs in at a wopping 16 pounds, about 10%...so she went down a little in that, at 6 months she was at 15%. She is in the 50% for her height, and 8% for her head...

I talked to the docter about her upper body, and how she seems to not be developing as she should at this age, in her fine motor skills. Well, the doctor took a look at her, she noticed that Elsie is very stiff, in her joints, her legs and arms, so she wants me to take Elsie to a physical Therapist, to see what we can do to help her, and also see if there is anything else wrong happeneing, but she said Elsie is developing great in her launguage and the way she responds, it is just her fine motor skills she was concerned about. The doctor did say that stiff joints like this is a sign of ceberal palsy, but with the way Elsie responds and acts, she doesn't think that is something we need to worry about."

We went to the hospital for our first P.T. session, and Elsie was having none of it.
Like I said, she was spoiled.
I also think that Mom and Dad were the only ones who learned how to 'hold' her the special way to help her feel safe.
That might only make sense to me.
But to hold Elsie was quite the feet.
Like I said, she couldn't open her legs very much.
Her back was pretty stiff, so she kinda stuck out away from you.
There was no leaning in a cuddling...she simply couldn't do that.
Anyway, she knew she was safe when we held her, but when others tried to, she felt unsafe.
That is the best way I can describe it.
The lady at Physical Therapy suggested we look into the Infant/Toddler program.
If qualified, you would receive services in your home for your child.
Of course, we qualified....and that is when Katie, Joanne, and Jessica entered our lives.
I think she was about 11 months when we started in home therapy.

Once a week, Katie would come over and do P.T. with Elsie.
Katie has always been so great with her!
I can't believe she has been with us for so long!
Joanne is Elsie's Speech Therapist, and she came about once a week also, or sometimes 3 times in a month.
Now Elsie wasn't 'talking' much at that point...but Joanne did some awesome mouth exercises and massages to help her poor little tight mouth loosen up.
She was and still is amazing with working with Elsie.
I also credit her with Porter's recent obsession with the 'Ck' sound....hilarious!
And Jessica was Elsie's Occupational Therapist.
She worked on Elsie's fine motor skills a lot.
We sure miss Jessica.
She lasted until Elsie was too old for the Infant/Toddler program at 3.
But she is still around, and she was the one who suggested I get the electric blanket for little Elsie.
Thanks Jessica for being in our life!
We never had any kind of diagnosis...and the therapist didn't really have any suggestions either.
I am not sure if they just didn't want to make any, for fear of worrying me, or if they really just didn't know.
Then we hit One Year Old.
Of course no walking....or standing.
She could sit, kinda, but sitting on her own was a challenge.

She didn't have the core strength to hold her up for very long.
And she would slowly tip to the side.
And she did not have strength in her arms if they weren't right in front of her...so she never caught herself.
But she smiled...oh, she smiled!
What I have failed to mention through all of this....
Elsie was always such a trooper.
No complaining....
She was and still is the hardest worker I know!!!!
She tries her hardest, and gives her all.
She could not do the things that the little babies around us could do so easily.
But she was always so determined.
And she always had that smile.
That smile that just melts your heart.
******
This only covers up to the first year of her life.
So come back to hear more.
******
Only cause I can't skip a day blogging...he he he...
I will write a little about today.
I am so exhausted cause Elsie Rose had a rough night last night.
But she said she would sleep good tonight...we will see.
Elsie got to go to the birthday party of her best little friend Alex.
Alex got a bird for her birthday, and Elsie thinks it is pretty cool.
As long as Alex holds him.
**
Somehow the day got away really fast, and I have a really messy house.
So I am gonna load the dishes and go to bed.

4 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

Elsie is such a trooper! I don't think she'd be as far along as she is had she not had such an amazing, sunny attitude!

I love that pic with her friend Alex and the bird. She looks so proud of her friend and her friend's bird!

Emily Peterson said...

Oh, it is so great to see those pictures from Elsie's first year! Those eyelashes!!! She still has super long eyelashes, but she has grown into them a little bit. They are so amazingly long in her baby pics!!!

I am so glad that you are writing this all down Kim!!

Ava said...

Love her hearing her sweet story.

Miss you like crazy!

Malisa said...

Love her story and to see her bright smile! So inspiring!