Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday September 23

Oh Elsie, Elsie, Elsie.
My sweet Elsie.
I just want her to have all that she ever wants in this world.
I don't want there to be anything that holds her back.
And I hate it that there may be things in this world that will want to hold her back.
I might sound a bit dramatic......but it is something that I struggle with daily, and it feels my top is gonna pop!
Every time Elsie talks about going into the ERR (Extended Recourse Room) room, I ask her what she did there, and how long much time she spends in there.
I don't like her going there.
I love the people, I love that it is a resource available......
But when Elsie misses class to go to the ERR room, she is missing instruction and missing the things that the other kids her age are doing in her classroom.
Today I helped in her class.
She went out three times in the 2 hours I was there.
One of the times was to fill out a worksheet that the other kids in her class were doing.....but they took her to the ERR room for it to be more quiet.
Well, that seems silly to me.
Yes, Elsie does better with less distractions
But Mrs. Janzens room was so quiet and the kids were so good.
And if we are talking distractions, the ERR room has swings, and toys......
So I decided it is time for me to say something.
But I also think I need to really sit down and decide what I want to say.
I don't to offend anyone or make anyone feel bad.
They have worked so much with Elsie.
But I feel like this year, she is not being pushed.
She isn't expected to do the same things as the kids in her class.
Physically, there are things she cannot do (yet) that the kids her age can do.
But mentally, cognitively.....she is there.
She can do it.
She just needs to be pushed....she needs to know that they expect more out of her.
That when she is out of her comfort zone, she will learn and grow.
Telling her she can just color the worksheet however she wants instead of picking out the odd or even numbers, is not teaching her anything except that if something is hard, she should just not try.
That's not okay with me.
Last year, she kept up pretty good with her peers.
But I feel like if we give her a year 'off' and don't push her, she will never be able to catch up.
That isn't fair to her.
She is a smart girl.
She can do it.
She is stubborn, yes.
But that stubbornness is also what has gotten her this far.
So now I just need to decide what needs to be done.
I need the school team to be on my side.....
They need to understand that what is happening right now is not what is best for Elsie.
I am actually even thinking of saying not to take her out of class for PT and ST because she misses that classroom instruction.
And she gets that stuff outside of school....and I feel like that is enough for now.
I don't want to fail Elsie myself either.
I don't want her to think that I don't expect her to do things around the house like the big girls and little boy do.
Today after dinner, I asked her if she would help me clean up.
She kinda moped.....but then I gave her a choice to either put the leftover waffles into baggies, or put away the silverware.
She fussed for a minute, then thought about it and thought putting away the silverware might be fun.
I just need to give her more opportunities to be helpful....
I do know that she gets more physically tired then the other kids, or all of us for that matter.
But I also know that there will always be things that she thinks is too hard, but she can still do.
I want her to know in her head that she can do anything.....even with a tired body.
Okay....enough of that.
I am trying not to be negative :)
One cute thing that made my heart happy today.....
Joanne came over for ST, and Elsie brought out her scriptures so she could show Joanne what she has been reading.
She turned right to the Articles of faith and recited the 1st one.
Made me smile.
*****
Dad had to go teach class today, but he came home a little early and we got to work on the house.
The shake shingles are quite the chore.
We decided to change up the original plans, and I am excited about that.
The middle dormer will be the same siding as the bottom of the house, and the dormers on the sides will be the shake shingles.
I think it will look great.
One thing I am not sure about yet though.....should I have the triangle on top of the middle dormer be shake shingles like the sides, or leave it all the same??????
Hmmm.......guess I need to decide soon :)





2 comments:

Nancy said...

I think you are spot on with Elsie! Remember you are the mom who knows her best and the school is working for you!!! I'm sure Sandra could write a whole book about how to get what you need from the school and we have another boy in our ward who was deaf until he recieved an implant. His mother had to go to battle many times to get what was best for him. You have had some wonderful people to help but you might run into some who are a little lazy to:( Follow what your heart tells you:)

Young family said...

I think that you for sure need to have a sit down with all her teachers, maybe even all together.. She is a rock star, and so are you! You do know her best! You are awesome! The house is looking great! Let me know when you are ready to paint some more... :)