Monday, August 23, 2010

Fun with Friends...

We got to play with our friends, the Russo's tonight!
Which is a treat...we NEVER get to see them!
It is kinda silly...we live like 7 miles from each other...we really should hang out more.
Alesha is one of my very best friends from back in the good ol' days.
It is so much fun to still be in contact with her and have our kiddos be friends.
It is pretty cool that both of us ended up out here in Idaho.
Cassi and Tripp got along really well, and played non-stop the whole time.
Thanks Alesha and Stephen for the fun night...
We will do it more often, for sure!

*********************************************
And...
We finally bit the bullet and got ourselves a Costco card today...
And guess what????
We aren't very impressed.
I don't get it.
The place is packed full...and people seem to think they are getting good deals...
But I know for sure we paid twice as much for some things, and they didn't have half the stuff I needed on my list.
So tell me, what am I missing here...
Is there something I should know about this amazing place???
What tricks do you use, why do people get these cards and why do people love this place so much???
I mean, sure, the samples were great...and there were some coupons worth using, but I don't think they made the stuff any cheaper than if we just went to Walmart...
So tell me the secret...please...

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm axious to hear what people say...cuz we didn't renew our Sam's card for the same reason. Since I've been paying attention to the ads and coupons and such, I've been able to find stuff for way cheaper...but I'm sure there is a secret that I'm missing as well :-)

Books = Possibilities said...

I love Cassi's expression! she is such a character!

I don't know about any of the membership warehouses. We don't have any near us, closest is over 20 miles away. I don't see the point, either!

Emily Peterson said...

It depends on what you are shopping for. I’ve always found Craisins to be cheaper at Costco than Walmart, and canned pumpkin is cheaper at Costco as well. I really like the boxes of assorted fun greeting cards at Costco, and they don’t carry those at Walmart.

Most spices are much cheaper at Costco (because of the bulk sizes) so if you know you are going to do a fair amount of baking or cooking and regularly use some spices (like cinnamon) then it is cheaper to buy them at Costco. (If you just need a particular spice for occasional use, then you are better off buying them someplace else in the smaller container, since spices lose their flavor over time.) I’ve been able to find some books at very good prices at Costco; they do have a very good book selection (at least at the Costco here in Orem).

Costco also has good stuff for Christmas/holidays. I found some really good wrapper paper there for about the same price as some I got some for at Walmart, but the paper from Costco was better quality, and was double-sided. Steph thinks the Costco wipes are better quality than the Walmart wipes.

If you want to do all of your grocery shopping at one place, then it sounds like Costco is probably not for you. But there are some things that are a better deal at Costco (or that are unique to Costco), so if you identify those things, and get those at Costso, then it will make the membership worthwhile.

Staci said...

Since we leave in Kamas I but quite a bit at Costco. Our local grocery store is double what it is in ten "city" so I stock up on all the snacks my baby girl like.... sometimes i go in there and spend way more then I planned on and walked out with nothing I went in for... But you will love it around Christmas....

Bald n Beautiful said...

I agree you can't do all your shopping at Costco, but they if your interested in high quality it is the place! I love their produce and meat, but it probably isn't as cheap as walmart.

MegJill said...

We've never found Sam's Club or Costco worth the membership fee. Before you've bought a thing you've spent $40! And then you have to turn around and pay it again in a year. That just seems silly. We just wait for a family member who has a membership to visit and then we go, just to see what they have and eat the samples.