Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bad day...

...for Elsie, anyway...
We had a bight and early appointment this morning with the Ear nose and throat people.
I have suspected her HUGE tonsils as a problem for a long time now.
Her voice was starting to sound muffled, and that is when I finally made the appointment.
We got there today...and after what seemed like 5 hours of waiting in a waiting room with 4 kids...we finally went in.
We went to see Dr. Beck, who we heard wonderful things about.
And they were all true.
She is fantastic.
She was very sweet, and soft with Elsie.
But Elsie did freak out a bit when we had to pin her down and hold her face and arms to get all the ear wax out...and to find out she had fluid behind her ears.
She took one look at Elsie's tonsils and knew for sure they were a problem.
They were literally touching each other.
Poor girl.
Oh, we also went our first night, ever, without a Binky...
We lost it last night, and had lost all the back-ups.
I had no choice.
She did fine until about 4 in the morning.
I tried everything for a couple hours...she wasn't crying, just not sleeping.
Finally I got her to sleep by rocking her.
That is when I noticed that she stopped breathing every once in a while...then she would catch her breathe.
So, needless to say, I am very happy to be doing this tonsillectomy...
Well, not happy to do it...but happy to have it done.
I am excited to see the positive changes that will come from this.
Better sleep.
Deeper sleep.
Better speech.
Stronger throat muscles.
Easier breathing.
And, as Madi says, a BIGGER smile.
It is all gonna be great stuff!!!
Well, then later today she cut the little thing inside her top lip...
She was bleeding like crazy, it took me a while to figure out what happened.
But she survived.
So Elsie is scheduled for this next Tuesday to get her Tonsils and possibly adenoids out.
I feel bad that she is missing the first week or more of school...
But she knows her teachers, and I think she will be fine going late.
Dr. Beck told me that their record for eating Popsicles in one day was 27.
I am pretty sure we can beat that.

5 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

Poor Elsie! She is going to do so well sans tonsils.

And I bet she will far exceed that Popsicle record!

The Holdaway Family said...

Oh, sweet Elsie! She will be in our thoughts and prayers! We love her so much!

Young family said...

We will for sure watch Porter for you that day. And even the next day, so he doesn't torture her. Hopefully getting rid of those tonsils will help in many ways... she is such a sweetie...
Your post about Madi at church was so sweet. You are a lucky mom to have Madi Bell...

Nicole said...

I bet she can beat that record for popsicles eaten!

Rob and Marci Peacock said...

We ADORE AND LOVE Dr Beck!!!! I can't say enough good thing about her!! You couldn't be in better hands with Elsie! We were wishing that we lived in Idaho when my twins got their tonsils out last month so she could be the dr to do it. Good luck with everything and if you need any tips, tricks, etc. for the recovery time, shoot me an email.