Wednesday, April 07, 2010

My happy helper!

Every day at about 4:30 or 5:00, Elsie has a bit of a meltdown.
She is so completely exhausted by that time of day...and if she has already taken a nap earlier, it isn't much better, cause then she is just groggy and grumpy.
We usually try to get her mind on something else...like Strip (Grandpas horse that she has made her own), or her teachers and friends at school.
But those things don't always work.
Then we started having her help to set the table.
She was so proud to walk back and forth from the table to the cupboards with cups, forks, whatever we needed.
It first started with her giving the stuff to the bigger girls.
Then it progressed to her helping along side the girls placing things at each spot.
Well, yesterday I was starting to make dinner, Elsie kind of moved me out of the way from the silverware drawer, I thought she was just watching what I was doing.
Well, a few seconds later I noticed that she was walking towards the table with a handful of forks.
She was setting the table on her own...and no one asked her.
Isn't that just perfect?
Today, she did the exact same thing.
She was a little more demanding about me getting the (paper) plates down for her.
But Elsie being demanding is also one of the cutest things around.
So she set the entire table...forks, plates, cups, and even straws...all on her own.
She would walk to each spot and say the name of who was sitting there.
She just makes me smile from ear to ear.
***********************
*I am Thankful that I have this blog to share my life with those who care...but mostly I am so Thankful to document the lives of my children growing up...I wish I would have been better at it when the big girls were little...
*I am Thankful That the Doc says that everything looks great with Brent's arm...I am a little irritated with the x-ray tech who moved his arm in ways he isn't supposed to move it yet...
*I am Thankful that this morning went a little smoother again...I think we are getting the hang of things...it is funny how it all falls on me. If I am mad and in a hurry...everyone is mad and in a hurry...if I am calm...guess what???? So are they!

6 comments:

Young family said...

Hallie loves to do the same thing! She is such a cutie!

Jenni said...

What a sweat heart. She is just too precious. You can see her complete joy in helping out. And you are such a good mom to figure all these things out.

Emily Peterson said...

Good job Elsie!!! I'm so proud of you!

Bald n Beautiful said...

I love reading your blog. I like you, wish I had been doing this when my big ones are little. It is the best journal. Thanks Jenni for getting us started!

The Holdaway Family said...

What a sweet helper! You should have posted a picture of her final product.

Jodi Gallagher said...

Elsie is so cute! Her smile just melts me! What a great little helper!