Thursday, March 25, 2010

Surgery Day...

Brent told me today that he understands why Madi get so embarrassed when I pull my camera out.
But I know how much he loves that our life is documented for generations to come...so they can deal with being irritated with me...cause when his Grand kids pull out our books in the future and see poor old Grandpa with his shoulder surgery...they are gonna love it!
Surgery went well today.
We got to the hospital at 10:00, surgery was at 12:00 and I didn't get to see him again until 4:30.
Talk about a long day...full of way too many treats and HGTV.
The Doctor came out and talked to me at about 3:00.
He told me that he wanted to keep him over night because he knew that once his nerve block wore off, he would be in some real pain.
So they wanted to keep him to monitor him and his pain level.
So Doc first scoped the shoulder...checked out what needed to be done.
His rotator cuff looked great.
The piece that was anchored from last surgery was still attached to the glenoid.
But that was also the piece on the glenoid that had broken off.
So he reattached the glenoid bone with two screws.
Then he had to tighten up the tendons...ligaments, I don't know for sure.
He tightened them up in the back, but didn't have to mess with the front...that looked good.
We still aren't sure if he shaved that hooked acromium that we have been talking about for 2 years...but Brent talked to him about it before surgery, he said he would take a look and decide.
So hopefully he remembered to take a look.
Brent was in good shape when I left him.
The girls have shed a few tears since I got them home.
Cassi especially.
She keeps saying she just wants her Dad.
I told her that they just want to watch him and make sure everything goes fine.
Which I guess was the wrong thing to say, because then she realized that there was a chance something could go wrong.
Poor kids.
But that is why he sent this 'I Love You' sign for them.
At night they each do an 'I Love You' sign and their hands 'Kiss'.
So when I showed the picture below to them, they touched their little 'I Love You' hands to the camera.
I thought it was adorable.
These kids love their Dad more than you could ever know!

Sorry babe, these are the kind of pictures that need to get in the book, and they have to be on the blog to get in the book!
But I didn't add the picture of him wearing purple socks.
I knew the girls would think that was just hilarious...so he allowed me to take a picture of him and his purple hospital socks...adorable!
I was right...the girls LOVED it!
******************************************
* I am Thankful that Jenni took my kiddos for 8 hours today. 8 HOURS!!! You rock Jenni. Thanks so much! I owe you BIG TIME!!!
* I am Thankful that I get a free day each week for my wellness challenge...today was nearly impossible to stay on track! Not with being in a room with a vending machine for the better part of 6 hours!!!
* I am Thankful things went better than expected in surgery. Hopefully the recovery will be the same way...better than expected!!!

4 comments:

Bald n Beautiful said...

glad it went well. good luck on recovery.

The Holdaway Family said...

I am glad it went well and I hope that he recovers quickly! I wish we lived closer so we could help out more but I am thankful you have great friends that will always help you out!

Jennece said...

Glad things went well, hope he wasn't in too much pain last night, that's hard to leave not knowing. What a tender dad, I love it!

Erin said...

glad to hear all went well, hope he has a speedy recovery.

about not being able to enlarge the pics-i really don't know why that happens. i can't figure it out because sometimes they will all enlarge & sometimes none will. i don't do anything differently between the two & i very rarely resize my pictures, so i know they are huge files. i wish i could tell you how i do it, but the truth is i just don't know. :)