Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My new (old) chairs!!!

Our kitchen chairs are pretty pathetic.
The paint is coming off...and not in a cute rustic kind of way.
They just look bad.
We have been looking for new chairs and I came across these chairs on Craigslist a while ago.
I fell in love with the chairs, which are from the 1920's.
BEAUTIFUL!
Anyway, he was asking $400...so I just kept looking.
Well, last week I got on and looked again...they were down to $250.
Six antique chairs...$250...pretty good deal...
But we had to go see how sturdy they were...if they would hold up for our family.
We got there and I knew they were perfect.
They were SO me!
But they were a little wobbily...but had good bones.
We told him we would have to think about it...
We got home and browsed the Internet for more chairs...what we found was that even the cheapest chairs were at least $50.
And those we cheap...like made cheap...not good quality...in my opinion.
So I talked Brent into the chairs...
But I still didn't want to pay $250...
So Brent said that if I could get him down to $200...I could have them.
Well, the guy said he had to think about it...he called back a few hours later and said I could have them!
Aren't they wonderful????
Now, I haven't quite decided what to do with them.
The color won't work and I am seriously playing with the idea of painting them a funky (not too funky) color like Turquoise....
What do you think???
My eventual plan in the kitchen is to paint my table white and my cupboards white...and to have red and turquoise accents in the kitchen and living room...
That is the plan...in my head it is absolutely perfect!
Brent will have to spend a little time gluing the legs and making them real sturdy...but he says they have good bones...and he likes to do stuff for me anyway.
That is love right???
Thanks for the chairs, baby!
**********************************
*I am Thankful that thing seem to be getting more clam around here...with my "Don't raise voice" goal...it is really starting to trickle down to the kids...and that makes me so happy!
*I am so Thankful that Brent loves old stuff like I do...I think we have some real treasures here....
*I am Thankful that I am changing my eating habits...do you know that my kids now reach for oranges, apples, or bananas instead of cheese crackers or sugary stuff. That makes me so happy!

5 comments:

Young family said...

They do look really neat. It will be fun to see what you transform them into.

Jodi Gallagher said...

So cool! I can't wait to see them finished.

DTanner said...

No way! Your table already looks beautiful!... at least from what I have seen. ;) My friend stained some old dressers for her salon in bright colors like red, purple and green. They have a really high gloss to them and look really cool.

Cami said...

You should TOTALLY paint them turquoise! Then you should find a super cute fabric that is red, white and turquoise and make little seat cushions, I think that would be super cute!

Or something just red and white like this!

http://www.texassusannie.com/assets/images/clred.jpg

:)

Malisa said...

I love them! They are beautiful!! I can't wait to see pictures!!