Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dang ear infections...

I am sorry for all you Mothers out there who have kids with chronic ear infections!!!
I have been blessed in my life with kids who have rarely gotten them...
Last night was a BAD night!
When Elsie is feeling bad and can't express herself, she gets very angry...very angry.
Last night things went normal...she fell asleep good, she had a little fever, but I had given her some Ibuprofen before she laid down.
I should have gone to bed earlier...but we got in bed about 11:00.
Elsie got up at 12:00.
Elsie was mad.
It wasn't until 5:00 that she went back to sleep...
really.
with hours of crying in between...we watched some Mickey Mouse...I offered Popsicles, bread, candy, apples...nothing helped...
Like I said before, Elsie uses a lot of sign language in her daily conversations.
She kept holding her hand to her head, which is what she does to sign for bed.
So I would take her up...she would lay for a minute...then flip out.
I would go down stairs, then back up...same thing over and over and over.
Finally, when she was absolutely exhausted she went to sleep.
When I got in bed...I started thinking that she was grabbing her left ear...when she signs BED she always uses her right hand...
See, when your kids don't get ear infections...you aren't trained to look for the signs.
So I took her to the doctor today, and sure enough she has an ear infections, with fluid behind the other.
She said the other one might have already burst a few days ago.
Oh man.
Poor baby.
I REALLY hope that tonight goes better...
She was pretty good today, with only a few melt downs.
I hope it gets better FAST!!!
I feel for you frequent ear infections Moms!

*********************************************
* I am Thankful for antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!
* I am Thankful for this weather!
* I am Thankful for having such a wonderful family. We have very stressful times...but man...I wouldn't trade it for anything!

5 comments:

Erin said...

poor little thing. i can't imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to communicate exactly what you are feeling. i hope she feels better soon!

Nancy said...

You are so GOOD! Not being able to communicate verbally has to be incredibly hard.
I loved the chairs too! What a find and a bargain:)

Young family said...

Poor little thing.. You are such a great mom, Kim!
We were at the Dr. with Aubree yesterday too, she has an ear infection as well... We too are grateful for antibiotics!

Malisa said...

Oh I feel your pain! Ear infections are the WORST! All 3 of my kids have tubes now! They are heaven scent. And your right, it is hard to know the signs of an ear infection. When my Madi had one of her 1st ear infections I totally let it go on for a few weeks without even knowing. She was only a few months old and it looked like she would always "pet" her ear. I thought it was a comfort thing. Then I took her in for a check up we found out why she was doing that.I felt like the worst mommy alive! Bless poor Elsie! They are miserbale.

Sara said...

You know how Mom always put garlic oil in my ear (garlic squeezed out of those capsules). I have started doing that with Brad. A few weeks ago, he woke up SCREAMING that his ear hurt. I gave him Tylenol, but he was up again an hour later. So, I put the garlic oil in his ear and he slept the rest of the night. I took him to the doc and he had a double ear infection. The ear he was complaining about was worse. Well, I don't know if the antibiotics cleared it up completely. He complains every few days about his ear hurting, and he is always requesting garlic for his ear. I think I will take him in again tomorrow. He has never had ear infection problems before... I don't know what the deal is!!!

Anyway, sorry you had such a terrible night! I HATE those kid of nights! Especially now that I am working mornings! Hopefully she is doing much better since you wrote this post a week and a half ago. :)