Sunday, May 31, 2009

This is a very long post for a very long and emotion filled week...read if you want. I just had to put all my thoughts down...thanks...
********************************************************************
It was early last Sunday.
We were at church.
Our families had gotten a hold of our good friend to come and find us.
That is how we found out.
That is how we found out we had lost Jeremy.
Jeremy passed away at 32 years old.
Very unexpectedly.


Jeremy was Brent's Nephew...but really, he was more his Brother.
Brent had the unique opportunity of being younger than his nephew.
Just living down the lane from each other, these boys were inseparable.

Jeremy was the hardest worker. He was always fixing something for someone...or making something for someone else. He was a man of many talents. Many times Brent has said how much he looks up to Jeremy...and how he was always excited to go visit home to tell Jeremy about the latest tool or gun he got.

Jeremy was a wonderful husband, son, brother, friend...but especially, he was the greatest father. He loved that little Lexi Sue like no one else could. It was said many times this past week that Lexi is probably the only 3 year old that could rotate your tires, or change your oil for you. She had her own little tool box that she would carry with her as she followed her Daddy everywhere he went.

And you can't forget the strength that Mindi has. In Mindi's words...she was "lucky". For 8 years of their married lives they could not have a baby. So for 8 years it was just Jer and Mindi. They knew the in's and out's of each other like the back of each others hands. They knew every detail about each other. They got to have all that precious time just with each other, that I know Mindi will always cherish. Heavenly Father knew that Mindi would not have long with her Best Friend, so he allowed the two of them to have these 8 years just with one another.

Then they were blessed with such an amazing little girl. I have been thinking since last Sunday. Feeling sad that little Lexi lost her Daddy at such a young age. But then I thought...this little Lexi is not like most 3 year olds. Lexi talked early in life, she had a sense of humor early in life, she understood things very early in life. I have no doubt in my mind that this little angel will remember her Daddy, she will remember the things she did with him and the times she spent with him. Again, the Lord knew she wouldn't have her Daddy for long, so he prepared her mind early to soak up all she could of her Daddy. That is what I truly believe.

Jer and I had a great little relationship. He was a HUGE tease. He always made fun of me for having my camera backpack...calling me Dora the Explorer...Jeremy hated to have his picture taken, So I would try to take embarrassing pictures of him...but that backfired, cause he started taking embarrassing pictures of me. He was so quick witted and such a smart alec!

We, his family, are left behind with so many precious memories of such an amazing life. It is still so hard to believe that he isn't here. But what we are blessed with is the knowledge that we will see him again. How could we go on without that???

Here is a poem I feel needs to be shared.

Dear Daddy,

I really feel quite special that Heavenly Father gave me to you,
To be your little princess, your little Lexi Sue.

I know how much you love me, you told me everyday
Jesus needs your help now but you won’t be far away.

I will always remember the times that we’ve shared
By the things that you taught me I know that you cared.

You worried that the things I was learning were more for a little boy,
But knowing the way you did things will always bring me joy.

I loved to bring my tool box and help you as I could,
Cause now dear daddy I can do things exactly like you would!

The rides we took in the big truck spotting Kenworth’s made us happy,
Cause they’re the best…and we don’t like Peterbilt’s , do we Daddy?

Daddy, thanks for taking me to the Prom when I was only three,
They’re aren’t very many girls who are as lucky as me!

To have your picture taken was not something you liked to do,
But I’m sure glad I have the one of me kissing you.

I know you loved to hear me sing when I climbed up on your knee,
Snuggling close to you will always be my most cherished memory.

“You are my Sunshine” was your favorite song to hear,
And every time I sing it now I’ll feel you very near.

Don’t worry about us Daddy, Mommy and me have got a plan,
We’ll work hard and be real strong because we know we can.

Watch over us Daddy, we’ll be with you someday
Families are Forever..that’s Heavenly Father’s way.

I got to have the special experience of helping to write this poem with Grandma Ene and Aunt Cindy. The words just seemed to come out and into this beautiful poem. We all know that we had help from above writing it! The poem was read at Jeremy's funeral, and there wasn't a dry eye in the church.

Afterwards Lexi Sue got up and sang with her most beautiful "You are my Sunshine" just for her Daddy.

All those who knew Jeremy were better for it. Thanks Jeremy for being who you were. Thanks for being such a great 'brother' to Benji! He will love you forever! We will all love you forever!

*******************************************************************************

I am going to try to make up for the last week of Favorites.

There are many pictures to follow...should be enough to make up for the week.

There is nothing like being with Family to help heal broken hearts. And let me tell you, there is no other family in the world like that Matthews Family. How blessed I am to be part of it!

85.365 Thankful for wonderful families who take us in on a moments notice!
Brent took the kids and I to Utah first so he could go and be with his family. We weren't sure how the kids would react to seeing everyone in mourning. We thought it would be good for Brent to have some time with his parents.

86.365 Oh boy, We love WYOMING!!!
Brent picked us up and took us to Wyoming last Monday. There is something about the fresh air, farm animals and lush green grass that just lifts your soul!



87.365 We love WYOMING...oh, I already said that!

This is our sweet Lexi. A sunshine in all our lives.


88.365 We LOVE to drive!
Madi thought she was pretty cool that she could drive the mule by herself!
89.365 We LOVE Elsie's new attitude!!!
She is really starting to hold her own!
She is in the middle of telling and signing STOP to Cassi!
I Love the look on Cassi's face too!


90.365 We love to do down by the creek.
Here is a shot of Brent's parents house as we are down by the water.
We sat and watched for muskrats.
Very exciting for the girls!


91.365 We LOVE rainbows!
Uncle Dave, at the funeral, told Lexi that her Dad would send her rainbows.
The day of the funeral was a beautiful sunny day.
That night, around the time Jeremy would have returned from work, it rained, just a little.
And guess what we saw.
Jeremy sent a rainbow to his little girl.
We also LOVE twinners!!!
This is Porter and Bridger...
they are so much alike in personality and all!!!
How fun!!!



There are some great men in the Matthews clan.
Jeremy had plans, specially made trusses and wood to build little Lexi and dream playhouse.
Jeremy never got around to doing that.
So the men built it for her.
And boy is it a playhouse!!!
Two full floors...HUGE!!!
I am sure there will be a lot of time spent there!



Elsie loved the goats!
Loving the horse!


Daddy and his babies!!!
Else wasn't too sure about it!!!
But Porter had no problem with it!!!
91.365 We LOVE great friends!
We came home to a clean house, and all our laundry done and folded!!!
I was very embarressd that my house was so messy, but extremely grateful to not have to worry about it when we got home.
92.365 We love big girl beds!!!
Elsie is finally in her own big girl bed...things are going good so far!!!
Okay...I think I am caught up now!

22 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

WOW! This is quite the post.

Thank you for sharing your love for Jeremy. Brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my skin. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

You have so much to be thankful for, and I am glad that you are able to share it with us with all through the internet.

Anjeanette said...

So sorry to hear. You guys are such a great support group for your family. Love that you are all so close. Love the rainbow story.....brought tears to my eyes. Hope you all have a great summer... :)

The Holdaway Family said...

Man I really didn't want to cry this morning! Thank you for that wonderful post. Jeremy will be missed but there are great people who will help sweet Lexi remember her special daddy.

Brooke said...

Kimmie I just love you! your post was wonderful. I cried {of course} but they were good tears. I've thought so much of Jere and Mind and Lex and everyone this past week. I've been trying to figure out what to write myself but am having a hard time coming up with the words....you said everythign so perfectly. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful cousin. Your pictures are so fun too. I want a quick lesson in Photography 101!! And I love the twinners....I really can't get over them...and I think they are fascinated with each other too! It was so fun to see you guys for a bit. Here is a big hug from all of us to all of you!!!

Jodi Gallagher said...

So sorry Kim! How sad to lose him at such a young age! Hope you are all doing alright!

Young family said...

We are so sorry for the loss in the Matthews family. Little Lexie is just darling and we wish her and Mindi the best.
The poem you helped write was amazing. I didn't ever meet Jeremy, but knowing he was from WY and that he was part of the Matthews family... you know he was one of a kind!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Kimi, that is so very sad. My prayers are with you and all of your family. What a beautiful poem. You are such a special person and I love you. How great for you all to be there to support that sweet little girl and her mom. Please tell Brent that he is in our prayers as well. Love you.

Jenni said...

What a sweet post and tribute Kim. It was all beautifully put. I loved the poem and the rainbow story. It is amazing how in times of complete sorrow you can also see the light of Christ shine through and comfort those who are in need. Lexi and Mindi will always be able to feel His comfort and know that they are being watched over by Jeremy too. What a blessing. I am so sorry for you and Brent (and everyone who loved Jeremy) for having this trial but it is amazing to see your strength.

Brittany said...

Kim, that post was absolutely perfect. Thank you so much. We are so grateful to have known Jere and to get to be part of such a wonderful family. We are a very blessed bunch! Love you all, so glad we got to see you for a little bit.

McCoy Family said...

What a wonderful post. It was a great tribute to Jer and I know everyone will be inspired by him to live life to the fullest. Thanks for your inspirational words. I am so glad we got to see you all. Your family is so beautiful. Hope we get to see you soon. We love you all!!!

Cami said...

Love all the pictures! So sorry for your loss! That is so cool that you guys saw a rainbow!

So do you have a pic of the play house they built? :)

michelle said...

Kim, I am so sorry! I haven't blogged forever, and it isn't fun to read that! Just know that your beautiful family is in our prayers. I got teary reading the post, you have a sweet spirit, and a very neat talent... LOVE the pictures! Is is always hard to loose someone you are so close to. But it is comforting to know that we will see them again. May the Lord bless you and your fam at this hard time.. Take care... Michelle

Nicole said...

Hi Kim! Well I kept thinking I was going to go talk to you and then before I knew it my chance was over. It was great to see you there though and you did a great job tributing the week and the wonderful aspects of it. It is such a sad thing, but everyone is going to get through it only because of our knowledge of life after death. I completely agree how would we ever go on without it?!?! Kade and I had the opportunity to be with Mindi all day yesterday and she is remarkably strong and positive. Quinn (one of her and Kades older bros thats a twin) actually had a stroke yesterday morning so we all spent the day at the same hospital in the same waiting area as it was with Jer and she did absolutely amazing. Anyway just wanted to say Hi again. Your adorable.

Love,
Nicole

DTanner said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. The good thing that comes from someone passing is that you appreciate your loved ones all that much more. The poem was so cute and touching. Know I am thinking of you. Love ya.

Alison said...

I noticed you had not been posting like you ussually do and I was really hoping something bad did not happen. I am so sorry about your loss. You did a great job at paying tribute to Brents nephew.

Nancy said...

I guess all I can say is ditto to everything that has already been left on your comments. But please tell Brent that he did an excellant job. I didn't get the chance to do it in person.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful post and tribute! I'd been wondering about you and hoping that all was well... I'm sorry to hear about this - he sounds like a very special person and I'm sure his wife and daughter will be watched over!

Lyric Payne said...

Kim, you are such a beautiful person to be able to see all of the Lord's tender mercies in the midst of this tragedy. That is a gift!

Ed and Ivy said...

Kim - I read your post yesterday and could barely see through my tears by the time I finished reading it. The greatest comfort in a time like this is family! Its good that you have a close family to help each other through.

Lee Ann said...

Im so sorry to hear that. Brings me back to a world on Almy Rd that I barely know anymore. He was obviously loved by many--May God bless Mindi and Lexi.

Sara said...

Such an amazing post Kim! Thank you!

Nead Family said...

great post, kim. that is terribly sad about jeremy, but i enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. sounds like brent's family is very special; just like yours. welcome back...i miss the old 'bunch' of girls....