Saturday, December 08, 2007

My Wonderful Grandma

My beautiful, wonderful, amazing Grandma passed away yesterday morning. She was an amazing person who showed love to everyone, she was the hardest worker I have ever known. She was feisty and knew how she wanted things done. She made it to 97 1/2 years old. It was really neat, she died on the same day as her mother did many years ago, which also happened to be her mother, Elsie Warner's, birthday too.
I wish everyone could have known this wonderful woman. She always had a smile, and even until the end wouldn't let you play rummy cube by any other rules but hers!!! I love my grandma and I aspire to be like her. I have such mixed feelings, she is where she needs to be now, life was getting so hard for her toward the end, but I just wish my kids could know her the way I did...but I guess that is up to me to keep her memories alive.
I remember when I would go to her house to help with irragation, or just yard work, she would always get mad at me for running everywhere, she always said that I had time and I didn't have to run...and also I remember her always making me a get clip to clip my bangs out of my face...I remember interveiwing her one time for school about living during the depression, and all the stories she told. I love the one where she talks about Grnadpa bringing home the house they bought in like 10 different peices...I am not sure if that is the right amount, but something like that, and how she cried all night...well, that is the same house she has lived in for many years, and it is a beautiful house. I remember her teaching me how to use her rug loom, which is so neat...she couldn't understand why a young person like me would care anything about something as old as that...She always had the best surprised look...with Christmas presents, birthday presents...she would open it up and have the most genuine thankfulness...then she would get mad that you went to such trouble to give her something nice....I remember her always wanting canned milk as a present! I will never forget her beautiful smile. I loved to play with her hands when I was little because she had big veins that you could push around and they would wiggle on her hand...and now I am blessed with those same hands!
I will post pictures of her when I get back in town. I am so thankful to have had such a wonderful woman and role model in my life. I will always remember my Grandma.

12 comments:

Anjeanette said...

That's awesome you have so many great memories of your grandmother. I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have some qualities the same as she did. Your kids may get to know her more than you think. :)

Sara said...

Thanks Kim! I love reading about Grandma! She was such an amazing woman and she is missed!!!

Young family said...

Kim-
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Grandmas are so neat and their stories are wonderful. I am sure you are a lot like her and will be able to teach your girls to be like she was!!
Love ya

Jenni said...

Oh, Kim that was so sweet. What a special lady your Grandma was. Those are such fun things to remember and it is so good to write them down now so like you said your kids will know her through you. I have been thinking about you a lot and I hope things are going well in Utah. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I love you so much and am so sorry, losing a grandparent is one of the hardest things, I felt the same way about my grandpa not getting to meet Tripp. But like you said they can know her through you. The beautiful memories are such a blessing and she eill always be with you guys. We miss you and hope you are all doing well. Please give everyone hugs from us. Love you.

Cami said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember what it was like to lose my grandparents about ten years ago and I remember the pain I went through. I always called your Grandma 'Grandma Beardall' cuz I didn't know her first name for the longest time! She will be missed but her memories will stay in the minds of those she has touched through out her life!

Rachel said...

Hey Kim. What a great post that was for your Grandma. I can't believe that she was 97 1/2! You must have been good friends, so I'm sorry for your loss. But on a brighter note, she is in a great place.

Amy said...

Oh, Kim... she sounds like a beautiful woman!! I'm sorry for your loss, but it's so wonderful that you took the time to record some of your thoughts about her.

Lyric Payne said...

How lucky you are to have a grandma like that. The great thing is that you appreciated it so much. Many people would not be as interested in her and grateful for her. It shows what a thoughtful person you are.

Michelle said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I smiled when you talked about playing with your grandmas hands because I used to do that exact same thing. I hope that you are able to enjoy your family while you are with them and that you will return home safely.

The Holdaway Family said...

Thank you Kim! She was such a wonderful woman! I love hearing others memories...I laughed when I read the part about you running everywhere...I remember that, there was always plenty of time to just walk! We will miss her but we can keep her alive with memories!

pillingfamily said...

sounds like you were so blessed to have such an amazing woman in your life for so long. isn't it funny how it's always the little things we remember and cherish the most.