Saturday, June 01, 2019

Saturday June 1 (add pictures from phone)

I got up with enough time to run a pretty quick (for me) 10 miles before I had to get ready to go.
We went to a memorial service for Charlie Ruffing today.
This was my Instagram post that sums up how I feel.
Brent and I attended a memorial service today for a fellow Boise firefighter, Charlie Ruffing. We got to spend quite a bit of time with Charlie and his wife, Tonya, when I worked with the them on a calendar fundraiser for the "burnout fund" a few years ago. He was such great guy and was dedicated to his job and family.
I don't think most people realize the toll it takes to be a firefighter. Sure everyone loves firefighters. You call 911 and expect to see someone strong and ready to help. And that's what you get. But what you don't realize is that firefighter is continually going to someone's worst day ever...over and over again. And that big tough firefighter is expected to push all that down and move on to the next call.
So not only are firefighters more susceptible to cancer or divorce or sleep problems or injuries because of the job but also PTSD and mental health issues and addiction....and suicide.
Things have changed over the last few years to help them learn how to deal with what they see. But there is still so much that needs done. Yep, they are hero's but they are human too. And we can't keep pushing stuff down.
My heart hurts to think of the things Brent has seen and pushed aside so he can move on to the next. We have not been spared our share of trials because of this job. I'm grateful for his job and his dedication and willingness to sacrifice for others, but that does not mean I will let the job take him from me, in any way.
I guess my point is, well, I don't know.
I just don't want Charlie's death to be in vain. I feel like him taking his own life, on duty, was his way of sending a message. One that can't be ignored. I'm hoping it brings even more awareness to the public and change within the fire department family ❤️
It was a rough service. but also good.
I am glad they didn't shy away from what needs to be dealt with when it comes to the way the fire service deals with the trauma they go through.
We got home and Madi picked up Porter form Scout camp which he spent most of the day at.
Then she and Courtney dyed their hair....Madi, pink and Courtney, blue :)
Cassi went swimming with friends.
I was ready to not do anything.
I was exhausted, both physically and mentally.
But Stacia invited us to go swim.....and that sounded nice.
So we went and had pizza and hung out.
Dad helped fix a fan for them before we left.
Then a little later in the evening we went and moved the cows.
Then we hung out with the Edwards and Leavitt's for a bit.
We are so blessed to live where we live.
Really we are.
I am beyond grateful we ended up here!

No comments: