Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday April 23


We spent the morning with Dr. Lee in her office.
Elsie and Madi had eye appointments.
But Madi had some Idaho State testing that she didn't want to miss.
I had an appointment scheduled for Cassi next month...they wouldn't do 3 at the same time....
Anyway, it worked out for me to switch Cassi for Madi's appointment.
So we headed off.
I wasn't too sure how the morning would go.
Elsie was up at 5:00.
But it takes months to get in...so I had to stick with the appointment.
Anyway....we got in and Cassi went first.
Elsie told me she was nervous and wanted Dad.
So we sent him a picture of her signing 'I love you' and she felt better.
Cass finished up and then he put eye drops in her eyes.
Then it was Elsie's turn.
She was being brave and acting good.
But then she burst into tears.
She tried so hard to let it in.
He didn't know what to do.
He actually seemed pretty flustered with it all and tried to keep pushing to get her to do it.
Which doesn't work for Elsie.....at all!
He suggested he get to female worker to come in.
Which was a great idea.
She is who Elsie usually has.
Elsie knows her face.
And she is so nice.
She was awesome.
She kind of 'wasted time' by making sure everything had been entered in the computer right, all the time talking very calmly and quietly.
It did the trick.
Soon Elsie was telling her about her loose teeth and about the baby Buffalo's.
I talked to her at the end of the appointment and she said when she walked in and saw the eye drops on the counter, she knew that was what triggered Elsie's break down.
And she is SO RIGHT!!!!
I thought about it...but thought maybe there would be enough time before she had to do the drops that she would forget.
Anyway.
I was so happy she came and took care of it all.
She was wonderful!
Elsie was not happy again to have the eye drops put in....but we did it then went out to play while they dilated.
Then they got checked.....
Cassi was great.
20/20.
That's good.
And Elsie has improved!
Yay!
So we need to get her in for some new lenses.
She has been looking over her glasses for a while now, trying to focus better on things....and now we know why.
I sure wish we had her new lenses for the testing they are doing this week in school :(
So they were all pretty good.
Porter wasn't too bad either.
Except he was curious about all the expensive equipment around.....and there was some rolling around on the floor too.
When we left, it was lunchtime, so we stopped at McDonald's and got some happy meals for them.
I dropped Cassi back off at school and then Elsie Porter and I went to the park.
We had made plans with a couple kids in Elsie's class to go to the park for a picnic today.
So we played for a while and when we got home, Port was exhausted and ready for his nap.
Then I got some more house chores done.
Nothing super fun today.
The kids were really helpful this afternoon.
We got some stuff done that I have been meaning to do.
Elsie and Porters rooms needed cleaning.
And I needed to go through Elsie's clothes.
Good to have that stuff done :)
 


 



 

1 comment:

The Holdaway Family said...

Oh, my heart just breaks for sweet Elsie. How hard would it be to be so terrified and not be able to communicate? I'm glad that the woman was more patient and that everything was worked out.