Friday, September 26, 2008

US Bank Rescue Training

The US Bank building is the tallest building in Idaho. 252 ft tall. It has it's windows washed twice a year. The window washers were in town and wanted to know how the Fire Department would rescue them if something went wrong. So The Technical Rescue Team got to go and repel and practice their skills on the side of the US Bank building today. Brent gets to do it tomorrow. I can't even tell you how excited he is to do this! I wish I could go and take picts of him doing it...but we have a full day of soccer...bummer!

I asked Brent MANY questions as we watched the training...first question, why did he turn himself upside down??? Well, the rescuer has what is called a Pick off strap. and he turns inverted so he can reach up and hook it to the victim. Looks like fun, right???
I just love seeing firemen in such compromising positions!
They are lowered down after they are all hooked together. The used a 200 ft rope. I know you are thinking...um, the building is 252 ft...well, Brent tells me that they use the shorter rope so they can practice passing a knot through their lowering system, in case the need arises that they need a rope longer then their longest rope, they can tie two together and know how to pass the knot through without complications. Fun huh...
And they made it down all safe and sound! Hopefully everything goes just as smoothly when Brent does it tomorrow!!!
Here is a piece the news did http://www.ktvb.com/video/

What is funny is this makes me nervous for him cause it is scary to think of what could go wrong...but in actuality, when he is diving for the Dive Team and dives to 100 ft. that is much more dangerous...I am just glad that he knows what he is doing!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Holy Cow!! he is Brave. I don't think you could get me to do that in a million and one years. I'm probably to clumsy anyhow ha ha. I'd propel off the side without even meaning too!!

Sara said...

So amazing! Brent has such an awesome job! What an experience!! Too bad you couldn't go to take pictures of him. How did it go for him?