Thursday, April 17, 2008

Last home project...for awhile!

BEFORE So when Brent realized he would get surgery and be out for quite a long time....he started to tear down walls...literally! We have been wanting to redo our stairs to open it up...and our carpet was HORRIBLE so we decided to do wood stairs...anyway, here is how it turned out!
AFTER
Okay...so it isn't finished yet...and that is my fault. I am usually the one put in charge of the finish work...and I am pretty lousy at getting to it! But I promise to get it done! But I just couldn't wait to have it finished to post...so I just decided to post it unfinished!
We want your opinions....we have railings to put in....but both Brent and I like it open, so do you think it would be better to put railing in, or leave it open?
This is midway through....the girls decided to make a time capsule. They drew pictures and wrote something about themselves, and our family and hid it in the stairs. Pretty fun, they thought it was pretty cool!



Anyway, one last project for awhile!


13 comments:

Sara said...

WOW!!!! That is amazing!! I love it! I like it open, too. But, do you think the railing would be necessary for safety reasons. You do have the railing on the other side. It is so beautiful! You should take a picture looking up the stairs. I want to see it all the way up! You two really are so crafty! Did you do all the work yourselves? Amazing!!

Stephens Family said...

impressive, it makes me want to give brandon a "honey-do" list!

The Holdaway Family said...

It looks wonderful! I really like it...I like that you did a time capsule...it will be interesting if you ever find it or if someone else will or if it will stay there forever! I vote for the railing, just for safety issues, what does the railing look like?

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, well my husband can wire things. I'm so jealous of the way you guys are so crafty and handyman-y. Where did you both learn all these things? How come we can't be like you two? I hate closed in stair cases so the renovation looks beautiful. I like it without the railing, but railing is nice too. Beats a wall.

Jenni said...

It really looks great. I liked seeing the before and after because it shows what a big difference it is.
Like I already said, I believe you have to put a railing up. It would never pass a safety inspection open like that. You just have to find the right railing that will keep the open feeling. Or maybe Alex will just "accidentally" fall off that part and get hurt and then I can sue you.

Bald n Beautiful said...

Oh, it looks so great! Much better than worn out carpet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh -- I LOVE that. I hate our carpeted stairs. I like the look of having it open, but it scares me having kids. I can already picture my son jumping off the side!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness... I LOVE LOVE LOVE that!! It's beautiful... you guys are so talented. Though I do think the railing might be a bit of a safety issue, at least until your kids are older. But it does look nice open like that!

Anjeanette said...

I love the way it looks, but I think it might be better to have a railing, if not just for your family, but anyone else that hangs around with you. One bad fall, and you might feel pretty bad......bummer though, cause it really does look good open. :)

jen said...

wow! I'm so amazed how fast you guys got it done. What an amazing team you guys are. I love the way it turned out. Way to go!!!

Brittany said...

You two are so handy! I think I love your house, however I've never seen it, just pictures! Maybe someday, we'll come and visit!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

That looks awesome! :) You guys are amazing, we would never in a million years try something like that! I LOVE the look of wooden stairs too, and the time capsul idea is so cute! THat will be so neat for whoever finds it in the future and who knows how long away it will be! :)

skcoe said...

That looks FANTASTIC!!! You guys are so great at these types of things.