Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday January 28

I had to run into the school today to put some money on Cassi's lunch account.
As I got in the lunchroom, so did Elsie.
I gave her loves and then helped her to her table with her class.
I had to hurry, because I had to pick Porter up from his friends and then take him to preschool.
Anyway, I gave the money and started to leave, but decided to watch Elsie through the doorway.
She makes my heart so proud.
Cassi comes and sits by her when she comes to lunch, but that is quite a bit later then when Elsie gets in there.
I watched Elsie as she opened her lunchbox.
She had a hard time getting the zipper open.
But she was doing it, no problem.
I almost ran over there to do it for her, but wanted to wait and see if she could get it.
She did, I knew she would, but it did take her about 3-4 minutes.
I was so proud of her for just doing what needed to be done, not whining, or saying she can't do it.
She just did it.
I had very mixed emotions.
I was so proud and happy for her, but there was also a sadness.
It breaks my heart when she can't just be like everyone around her.
But really, that is what makes her special.
The fact that things are harder for her to do, but she just keeps pushing through.
I know it is just a zipper, not a big deal.
But there are big obstacles she goes through every single day, and I am so proud of her for never giving up and for being such a great example with that big beautiful smile on her face.
After opening her homework folder yesterday after PT, I saw a paper that said they will be tested on Friday on their address, phone number and last name.
We have not been good at working on any of those things.
So last night we went over the info.....she was tired and didn't really want to do it, just wanted to go to bed.
But we went over it once and got her to bed.
Well this morning I told her she had to get all ready for school, including homework, before she could go play with her cousins (that is what she calls the million stuffed animals in her room :).
So I tested her knowledge and asked her our address, and she spit it right now.
She did the phone number too, with the prodding of the first number.
I was floored that she remembered it all so well after going over it once.
I know we talked about it when she was in kindergarten, but not very well.
And she wasn't expected to have it memorized.
Anyway, she is a smart cookie and I am so proud of her every single day.
I have low and sad times when I look at her and wish I could just make everything better for her, and easier for her.
But really, that girl is something special.
She doesn't feel sad about what she can't do like the other kids, she just loves life.
She loves people, she loves smiles, she loves imagination, she loves Buffalos.
The girls is pretty great.
I am Thankful for everything she has taught, and continues to teach us.
I think I'll keep her :)
 

3 comments:

Emily Peterson said...

What a beautiful post Kim! Elsie is such a sweet, wonderful, smart, determined, stubborn, perfect little girl!

Young family said...

She is an amazing girl! We love her!

Dustin said...

Elsie bug you're my hero!