Thursday, December 09, 2010

The meaning of Christmas

I was lucky enough to go to my Relief Society dinner tonight.
I have an amazing ward with amazing ladies.
I love to be around each of them.
Tonight was a Christmas dinner with beautiful musical numbers and wonderful words of Christmas.
Again, just what I needed to hear.
We talked about receiving Christ for Christmas.
God gave us the gift of his SON.
But a gift is not a gift unless we receive it.....like a present left unopened under the tree.
We talked about simplifying our lives so we can let him in.
The best memories of Christmas aren't about what we got...but about what we felt.
And the spirit that we feel when we remember the greatest gift of all, the Atonement.
I have had my mind on Simplifying this year, so I can actually enjoy this time of year.
And I have been doing a pretty good job.
But what I was missing, is the very core of Christmas.
We haven't even talked about the birth of Christ yet.
Of course I would have gotten to it before Christmas, but why not start now?
I don't even have a Nativity!!!!!
Can you believe that?
Every year for the last 10 years I have been looking for the perfect Nativity...so I have gone 10 years without a Nativity.
Actually, we have a little people nativity set, but that isn't quite the same.
Anyway, so I need to find myself a decent, non expensive nativity so my family can have that daily CHRISTmas reminder.
It was a beautiful night, and just what I needed.

7 comments:

Books = Possibilities said...

So true. It is very easy to get lost in the rush of the commercialized side of Christmas.

The Stake here (or Stakes...the wards in the Palouse area...) have their annual Creche this week...Nativities around the world. It is so amazing! There are so many different Nativities that have been offered by ward members. Some elaborate, others very simple. There is even a plastic canvas one. It is really amazing!

The Holdaway Family said...

What a special night!

Cami said...

You should have gotten that one nativity! It's so pretty!

Unknown said...

I'm Nancy's, from Almy, sister. Because of a picture you posted last Christmas of your girls with the Nativity puppets I made 3 sets this last week. One for our grandkids and 2 for my visiting teaching families. Maybe those will do until you find the "perfect" one I love the puppets. Thanks for the idea.

skcoe said...

I'm in the same boat...no nativity except the one in Mayci's room that has been man-handled to the point that baby Jesus may or may not be missing. :(

We open a Christmas book every night in December and every time it is about Jesus instead of Santa my kids do a disappointed "Awwww," it's pathetic! The funny thing is that Santa has a very TINY place in our home for Christmas, but I don't think I've done my job as mother to REPLACE him with Christ. You've not only motivated me...but also written half of my talk for Sacrament meeting on "a Christ-centered Christmas!" Good girl.

Anonymous said...

It was an amazing night! Great lesson for all of us.

Mrs. G said...

We have the Willow Tree nativity... It's so beautiful that I leave it out all year round. It's not terribly expensive for the main pieces and looks great on our mantle.