Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What I am learning...

I am becoming more and more ware each day how true it is that if I am mad...everyone else is too.
But I am also learning...that if I am happy, and trying for a good day...guess what...they feed off that.
Today has been a mixture of both.
I think I am a pretty good mom to the two little ones.
I think I am pretty good with the two big ones too.
But the four together...my goodness...madhouse!
The two groups both have such different needs.
Does that make any sense?
The younger ones like to play and be entertained....the big ones like to be listened to and to have you hang-out with them.
BUT it is almost impossible to give Madi my full attention, while I am playing horses with Elsie.
The craziness happens at 4:00 when Madi and Cassi come home.
The little ones still want my attention...but it is the big kids turns right then.
I need to figure out the best way to take care of all of that...when Brent is at work anyway...cause there is no problems when he is home.
But actually, my ramblings are about more of what I am learning...
Every little thing I am getting in my head lately seems to be really pounding at me.
Like:
Take time to just sit. (ha, ha)
Don't be a multi-tasker. (what me???)
Invite the spirit in our home. (when I remember this...oh, what a difference!)
The kids feed off my actions...(oh man...that is a big one!)
And there are few other things on my mind...but those are the big ones.
And maybe it is because the holiday season is upon us.
I feel like every year I get so caught up in making things, that I don't really get to sit and enjoy the spirit of the season.
I don't want to do that this year.
I want to feel all that Christmas time has to offer!
Anyway...my goals...put on a happy face...even if I don't feel like it, cause it will make the kids have a happier day.
And, try not to take on too much.
I have a neighbor who is willing to pay me big bucks to refinish a few of her furniture pieces.
I love to do that stuff.
But right now, it is just not the right timing.
Maybe she would agree to put it off until January.
We will see.
So I need to courage to tell her that!
Another goal, make it a simple Christmas.
Not that I spend major bucko-bucks at Christmas-time...but I do MAKE a lot of stuff...which is great, but time consuming.
So some things just need to be put off, for now anyway.
I don't want my kids to have Christmas memories of a frantic mom sitting at the sewing machine yelling at the kids not to touch the stuff that is everywhere!!!
And my biggest goal...I need to take the time to invite the spirit in my home.
Literally invite it!
Thanks to a wonderful lesson is Relief Society this last Sunday...It helped me put my priorities straight.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for your thoughts! I guess I just assume the spirit will show up because I WANT it to. NOT!!! Gotta ask.

Cristy said...

Wow! These are lessons I am learning right now too. Like...it might be just the season of my life where I BUY most of the gifts instead of making them. I have to frequently remind myself to slow down and do nothing. Seems counter productive, but I actually get more done of what really matters...like reading to my kids or chatting about their day or cuddling on the couch...simply because I'm available. It's hard for me, but I'm trying. Thanks for the reminder. I love you! You inspire me to be better with each blog post that I read. You are an amazing mom!

Books = Possibilities said...

That is a great picture of Madi and Elsie. So sweet. Maybe setting up times where the older ones help with the younger ones, so you can have a little bit of you time. Good luck! Your thoughts are very inspiring.

The Holdaway Family said...

So true! We need to take time to smell the roses...all of them! You are a great mom, keep it up!

Young family said...

Just a thought of what to do at 4pm.... Put Cassi and Madi "On stage" You sit with Porter and Elsie and Madi, While Cassi tells you about her day, and then switch. Then even let the little ones do it too. It could make that time of day fun. (this would give you the time to Just SIT!!!)
What does Porter want/need for his birthday? (besides tools)