Monday, October 18, 2010

A very busy day....

We sure got a lot done today.
We (my mom) made butter, mozzarella cheese, gnocchi, and Ricotta cheese.
We (Brent mostly) got park benches fixed, and stained, a door sanded and painted, Mel's Bridal pictures done, and actually a lot more stuff...
It was fascinating to watch the cheese, butter process.
She had the girls shake up the cream from her goats milk.
Then they got the butter, and with a little yellow food coloring, it looks so great!
After that, she took what was left
Then the cheese is made by boiling the milk with citric acid, and when it starts to solidify, you cut it up (this is also how cottage cheese it made.)
Then you separate the curds from the whey...really, that is how you get curds and whey.
The curd is what you make your cottage cheese with and you just add cream to it.
Cool right.
But then you melt it a little at a time and the curds form together and makes mozzarella cheese.
Yum....but that's not it.
You take the whey and heat it almost to boiling and then put vinegar in it...then turns it off and it separates, then you strain it through a cloth....and it makes like a creamy cream cheese...and that is your ricotta.
Crazy right!!!
It was so fun to watch my mom do all of this stuff!
Anyway, it was a fun day.
The kids had fun....the cousins came later on after school and they stayed busy for the rest of the night.
Which was just great!
Elsie had a lot of fun with Grandma today.
They played for a very long time sticking stickers onto each other, back and forth.
She was laughing like crazy.

Then Grandma sat for a long time telling stories to these three little girls.
They were loving every minute of it...Grandma was very animated!
*********
It was a fun trip...but it will be nice to get back into the swing of things.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love watching Mom at work! It is all so amazing! I have yet to try making my own mozzarella cheese, but I really want to. It looks like you had a fantastic day! What a fun game for Mom and Elsie to play!! :)

Books = Possibilities said...

Okay, so I'm jealous again! I really want to see Mom make all that cheese stuff...yummy yum!

I wish my girls had these opportunities to spend as much time with their cousins. I think sometimes they feel left out because they don't have as close of bonds as the others do with each other.

The Holdaway Family said...

I am glad that it worked out for Rachel to take my older girlies over there! They had a lot of fun!