Saturday, November 29, 2008


So here what we did the last few days...


As I said, we were admitted to the hospital because Porter had Jaundice and wasn't keeping the supplement formula down (and my milk hadn't come in yet).
Well, we knew we would have to stay the night for him to have photo therapy.
Brent and I were watching him in the isolette and we noticed that his breathing looked really weird. So we called the nurse in and she said that sometimes babies just breathe weird. Well, Brent suggested checking it out, just to be safe. So they hooked him up to the monitors, and sure enough, he wasn't breathing good. His SAT's kept dropping a lot lower than the Dr's felt comfortable with. So we went onto trying to figure out WHY he was doing this.

We did a chest x-ray, ruled out pneumonia, RSV and stuff like that.
The Dr. ordered an ultrasound for his head. Because of his vacuum delivery, they wanted to make sure there wasn't any bleeding on the brain. All looked good with that test.

He had to be put with oxygen, just breathe by, a tube placed by his face to help him get more air. That helped him keep his SATs up.

Our Dr. said she wanted to put Porter on caffeine. It helps to stimulate the brain and remind the baby to breathe. She also said we were very lucky that his jaundice got us to the hospital.

I am glad that we took him there for being yellow...if we would have waited, we would be taking him for being blue!

So we gave him the caffeine late...one of the nights (it is all a blur to me). He hated it and threw it all up. Gave him another dose with some breast milk, which he took just fine. A couple hours later, at about 1:00 a.m. he woke up acting so weird, crying, but just really off. But I guess that was due to caffeine. It makes the babies really irritable and uncomfortable for the first little while of being on it. After that he slept good...not me...how good can you really sleep with your baby all hooked up to monitors!

Then we tried a car seat study for the second time...he failed it previously. He didn't pass again. A car seat study is a test they usually give preemie babies before they can come home from the hospital. The baby has to stay in the car seat for 90 min. without dropping too low in his SATs. So they move onto the car bed study...it is like a car seat, only the baby lays flat to not obstruct the airway. So he passed that test so that is why we got to come home.

We were sent home with all kinds of goodies. He went home in a car bed. He still needs to have a billi-blanket to get rid of the little bit of jaundice he has left. We were also sent home with a SAT monitor as well as an apnea monitor. So needless to say, we won't be going anywhere for a while! Sure wish I would have gotten my Christmas shopping done!


So he still will have a dose of caffeine every night, for a couple weeks. Then we will see. At that point he may be taken off it, and monitored for a while longer to make sure he doesn't need it anymore.

As far as why he is doing this...we don't know. The pediatrician thinks that his body is just younger than what we think...who knows...I just hope he gets over it soon. It is hard to cuddle a baby with lots of wires attached!

(Porter in the billi-blanket)

And yes...we did spend Thanksgiving here at the hospital...actually our second year in a row. Last year we were with Brent's Mom. A tradition we do not want to keep up!
The girls made some pictures for Porter to look at while laying in his huge giant bed!


He is such a sweet little guy! I feel bad he has to go through all of this!
Lots more updates to come!!!

16 comments:

Rachel said...

What a bummer for all of you and poor little Porter. I am glad that he is doing better now, and I will keep the sweet little guy in my prayers. I bet the hospital's Thanksgiving meal was killer, huh :)? Sorry abou not being able to go shopping. I didn't go either, but that's cause I really had nothing to buy. Anyway, tell your little guy to get better. I'm sure you are all tired.

The Stevensons said...

Glad to hear you are home.... GOOD LUCK!

Nead Family said...

I can't believe you have been going through all of this! Poor little Porter. I will keep him and you guys in our prayers and that his breathing will be normal soon. Let me know if I can do anything for you. He is cute as a button and I love the pics of him and Daddy. Hang in there.

Anjeanette said...

I am sorry you are having to deal with all of that....it will go away soon enough, and it will all be memories. :) He sure is a cutie, and especially love the pics of Brent holding him....too cute!

Katie Call-Sommer said...

I am so sorry to hear about that! i hope he gets better soon how sad!! good luck with everything. and I will keep porter in my prayers!!!

McCoy Family said...

Just wanted to let you know you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Give Porter and all the girls kisses and hugs from us. Take care of yourself. Hope to hear Porter is getting better really soon.

Kristi said...

Poor little man! Glad he's doing a bit better and glad you are home. Good luck!

DTanner said...

I guess you will be doing a lot of online shopping this year. Good luck.

Grandma Ene said...

Thank you Brent and Kim for letting us know about how Porter is doing, I have just been waiting for an update. I have talked to you every day on the phone, but I always forget to ask some of the important questions. We are so thanklful to have him home at last. Kim I know what you have been going through because his daddy did the same thing to me only worse Kiss my Idaho Girls for me and snuggle and hug Little Porter Extra from Grandma "Ene"

Amy said...

Sounds like things have been a little crazy! I'm glad you get to be home now. We'll be keeping you guys and little Porter in our prayers!

Brooke said...

Oh I'm so glad you are home. Makes me just want to cuddle little Porter...good thing he is a tough little guy. Hang in there. Your in our thoughts and prayers.
Love you all. Give Madi, Cassi, and Little Else a kiss from Brookie and Brad and baby Bridger too!

Jodi Gallagher said...

So sorry Kim! I hope he gets better really soon! He is such a cute little baby! We will keep you in our prayers!

michelle said...

Oh Kim that is NOT FUN!!! I am glad he is home and doing better. I hope it all stays that way! He is such a beautiful baby!Don't worry about the shopping that is why santa has us all have computers...HE HE..(the net)
We will be thinking of you guys! Stay positive like you always do and it will all be fine... Take care!!!

Malisa said...

I'm so glad he is doing better! What cute big sisters he has. Brent looks like such a great dad!

Anonymous said...

It's sure good to know that little Porter is finally home, and doing better! I have been thinking about you guys..we will be sure to keep little Porter and your family in our prayers.

Erin said...

little babies shoudn't have such scary things happen to them. i hope he is doing lots better. he is such a little cutie! good luck...oh, & i know what you mean about the cords, it was about 3 weeks before we got rid of everything & could just cuddle with parker like a normal baby.