Monday, May 12, 2008

Bruneau Sand Dunes

(WARNING: may include an obscene amounts of pictures...sorry!)
We decided to take a little trip. We were all itching to get out and do something fun, so we took our camper and headed to Bruneau Sand Dunes. Things didn't start out so great. First of all, we didn't make reservations cause we figured...who in the heck wants to go camping for Mothers Day??? Well, we were wrong. They were completely full, but they had an overflow spot in their equestrian area....where they keep the horses. Well, I think in this case equestrian means 'crappy windy sandy camp spot'. We thought it would be a terribly long night with sand blowing in our eyes. So we drove around seeing if there was any chance that another spot would open up...no chance. So we decided to do back and make the best of our camp. There was a pavilion there...and since there wasn't very many people there we decided to hog the pavilion. It had two sides to it, and we parked our campers on the third side, blocking the wind pretty good. It actually became a pretty great camp spot. After we had everything all set up, we went and did some fishing and playing in the water. We didn't catch any fish, but had fun trying. Then we went to the sand dunes. The sand was so nice and warm, and it was a little windy, but it wasn't blowing in our eyes. Madi climbed the hill 6 times the first night...and two times the next day. She made me race her a couple times, and that is seriously a hard workout...I can't believe she climbed it so many times! Then we went to the observatory to check out the little telescopes...by little I mean...not the huge one they open up at night, but these we could spot the people on top of the dunes with and other areas...they thought it was fun! Then we went back to our camp and made some s'mores...and stayed up really late cause we were going to go the the observatory there...but it ended up being a cloudy night, and we decided to go to bed. Then we woke up on Mother's Day......
The girlie's fishing...


Elsie fishing with Dad

And playing in the water with Mom...


The sandy dunes


Elsie had so much fun! Just one giant sand box...


The girls at the top...


If you look close you can see the trail behind Elsie...she crawled and crawled...like a little turtle...it was so cute!

Looking through the telescopes



Elsie wouldn't look at me...so I told her to look at my nose, so that is why she is pointing out her nose. What a cutie!

Making s'mores with dads camp-made s'more makers...what can't you make with a hanger, stick and duct tape???
MMMM...s'mores!

She is covered in Marshmellow...and doesn't want to be cleaned up!
Our neighbor camper offered to take a famly picture for us...too bad we all look goofy! Well, all except for Brent, but he is always cute!


MOTHERS DAY
I had such a great Mothers Day. We woke up and I was told I was not allowed to do anything. So what else did I do...I took pictures. The girls got up with Dad and made Breakfast. Not just any breakfast...but french toast. My favorite! And let me tell you...it is even better while camping! The girls did a great job cracking eggs, cooking the sausage and eggs...seriously..I was very proud of them. Then Dad cut one into a heart and made me a beautiful breakfast...complete with Madi's tissue paper flowers that she made for me. Then they let me take a nap with Elsie while they went for a little hike. Then we came and picked up camp and took one last trip to the Sand Dunes before we left for home. It really was a great trip and we are so glad we got away and got to spend such a great time with each other! I am so thankful for my perfect little family...I am so lucky for all I have been blessed with!


Elsie loved to open and shut the camper door...

LOVE this picture of Elsie!
Cassi is dipping the bread in the eggs for the french toast
Madi, cooking the sausage
Cracking eggs for scrambled eggs

Cassi is a pro at cracking eggs

Madi, making my eggs for me.

Little Elsie...doing what she can to help.


Isn't it beautiful???


Me and my kiddos before my Mothers Day breakfast
One of our neighbors dogs. The girls had fun throwing the ball to her so she could fetch it.

Elsie had great time exploring EVERYTHING!
Last visit to the dunes.

I like this shot...it was very windy at the top, you can see the sand blowing.



Yep...really windy...the girls look pretty silly with their faces! I just thought it was a great picture.
Walking along the ridge

There's our little set-up!

You can barely see her...but his one is Cassi rolling down the dunes!

Madi at the top
Madi running down...fast!

Cassi finding cool rocks...they are all so smooth and soft. The sand dunes are basically a big rock tumbler!

Getting cozy...

Daddy with his little girl

Sand angels
(and pants full of sand)


9 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Looks so fun. That's so nice that you all just decided to get out and have some fun. Have fun cleaning sand out from EVERYWHERE for the next while. :)

jen said...

What a fun idea and a great way to spend Mother's day! That's a great place to go for a one night camping trip. We went there last year with Ben's family and all had a great time. We all want to go again this year and hopefully it will be soon before it get's really busy!!! I love all the pictures.

Angela said...

Looks like you had such a great time. This post made me miss Idaho and all my friends. The ward used to do the ward campout at Bruneau, which is the only time we actually went to the sand dunes, but it was so fun. I'm so glad you have such a beautiful family. You are so sweet and such a great mom!! I LOVED the pictures.

Young family said...

Wow, I can't believe that the campground was full. I am glad you were able to make things work. It looks like you all had a blast. Oh, and Happy Late Mother's Day!!

Lyric Payne said...

I have never had a desire to go to the sand dunes, because I can't stand sand and wind combined. That being said, your cute family somehow made it look really fun and I started thinking about getting reservations!

skcoe said...

How FUN!! That's a great idea- the sand looks so warm and wonderful!

Bald n Beautiful said...

That looks so fun! I wish we could go too! Scott took Derek father son camping and he loved it, us girls had to stay home.

Amy said...

Love all your pictures! I was just telling Todd that I want to plan a camping trip!! Looks like you guys had a great time!

michelle said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! So glad you got to enjoy each other in the Great out doors. My kids would love the sand. I love your pictures! Looks like your hubby is feeling better.