Thursday, February 28, 2008

A couple weeks ago I went into the doctor for a routine physical. The doctor found a lump in my left breast. She said it didn't seem like anything, but wouldn't feel good about not having me get it checked out just in case. So a week ago I went to get an ultrasound done....a few minutes after showing it to the radiologist they came and got me and said they would be doing a mammogram. During the mammogram the technician pulled me over to show me what all the concern was about. There was a weird shaped spot, with what looked like little grains of sand all around it. So they took a few images with the mammogram then took me back to do another ultrasound, cause now they knew where to look. We talked with the radiologist and he told us that he didn't like the way this looked. It was an abnormal nodule with calcification's. So he said that I should come in to do a core biopsy. So the next day, last Thursday, I went in for a core biopsy. He took 5 samples. We were hoping to hear the results by that Friday, but lucky us, we got to wait over the weekend. Well, Monday morning I called and was told that the results were in, but there wasn't a doctor available to give them to me yet. So I kept calling about every hour between the radiologist office and my doctors office to see if I could get the results. Finally, my doctor called. She said that the results came back benign, BUT...the radiologist didn't trust that result because of the way it looked and felt. So I was told now to get an exitional biopsy, and was given a name for a surgeon. I called the surgeon, made the appointment for Tuesday to go meet with him and talk about the procedure and schedule a time to operate. Lucky for us, they were able to fit us in for the next day, which was yesterday. Yesterday was a long day. Brent and I went in at 9:30. First I had to go to radiology to get a guide wire put in so that the surgeon would know exactly where to find it. Then I was taken to pre-op where they got me all ready for the surgery. My surgery was at 1:20...it took about an hour. After the surgery the Doctor went and told Brent that he got everything that he wanted to...He also said that he has seen the 'bad stuff' before, and this didn't look like that. So hopefully that is good news. Anyway, then after several hours of recovery Brent brought me home...that was about 5:30. Poor Brent had a very long day...so while I was sleeping, Brent got the girls all ready for bed and then he came in to me so the girls could say goodnight. I am feeling good this morning. It feels like a really sore or torn muscle. The scar is about 2 inches, bigger than we thought, but he said it was pretty deep, and right by the muscle, so I would be sore. Anyway, just thought I would update and let everyone know what is going on. We should, hopefully, get the results back Friday. If not, we will have to wait over the weekend again! So hopefully that won't be the case. I put these pictures on so you could get a little laugh about the whole situation...I am obviously a little loopy, they had just started to give me the medication....yee haw...Brent got a good laugh at me! Something to lighten the mood!



Oh and P.S. THANKS so much to our friends Jenni, and Drew and Heather for taking our kids for so long the last few days....we had lots of people who wanted to help out, it is great to have such wonderful friends.

16 comments:

The Holdaway Family said...

That whole outfit is so cute on you! We love you so much and we are so, so, so thankful to Jenni, Drew and Heather for all the love and help that they give you when we can't be there...we are glad that the surgery went well and hope that you start feeling better soon. Hopefully we can find out tomorrow the results of the biopsy Ü

Nead Family said...

Kim,
This is pretty scary. I can't believe you've been going through all of this the last few weeks. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you find out results Fri. so you (and the rest of us) don't have to wait. You are too young and HEALTHY for this to be happening. My thoughts are with you. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!
Lots of love, Summer

pillingfamily said...

we're praying for you and thinking about you a lot. i hope the waiting and waiting and waiting isn't too much for you because it's about killing me. you are such a strong woman. give your boob a little pat for me.

Brooke said...

Kimmie-

You are amazing. You have such great strength. When I heard the news from my mom I just couldn't help but think how cheery and happy you were when I last saw you. You have great strength. We're rooting for you kimmie! We love you! My mom and dad were going to the temple tonight and put your name in there too! Know your in our thoughts and prayers! We love you!

skcoe said...

Oh. My. GOSH. I didn't breathe the whole time I read that. Are you feeling okay? How much do the girls know? Have you had a blessing? Know that we have happy thoughts for you in Utah and are keeping you and your family in our prayers.

LOVE YOU!

Amy said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well. I've been thinking about you and praying for you... you're such a strong woman!! It's so nice that you have a good hubby and friends that take such good care you... take good care of yourself too!

Bald n Beautiful said...

Kim we are still praying for you, call me if you want to talk and I'll see you soon!

mallari said...

Wow Kim you are a tough woman! That kind of stuff is really scary. I was cringing about all of the things that your poor boob has been through too, you are too young for all of that!

Chantri said...

Wow. I did not expect that. I had no idea that you were going through such a tough time. Way to keep your head up though through it all. Know that you and your family are in our prayers. I hope the results come back good. You are amazing.

Michelle said...

Kim! I will keep you and your family in my prayers. This is so scary and you are way too young to have to go through this crap. Your poor boobie! Please let me know when I can help!

Lyric Payne said...

You really had me freaking out when I first started reading that. I am so relieved that everything appears to be okay. What a scary thing to go through. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help. I know you don't get babysitters, so it's a good thing you have lots of friends who love you.

Angela said...

Wow - I'm so glad you let us know. I will add you to my prayers. You are WAY too young to worry about this kind of stuff. I'm glad that everything went well and you were able to come home to your girls so quickly. Hopefully you won't have to wait forever for the results. We love you!

Brynn said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through all that. I hope that you start feeling better and everything turns out well.
Brynn

Brittany said...

Kim. Just wanted to let you know how much we love you. I have been so impressed with your optimism and strength throughout all of this. You are a great example to me! Hope you are feeling a bit better. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love you,
Brittany

Young family said...

this is a pretty big fiascle to try to get out of running Robie. You could have just said you didn't want to.
Glad to hear all is well Kim you are a tough woman Brent couldn't have handled all that.

Kindermusik with Celeste said...

Wow, very scary! I can't imagine having that feeling. What a mess to go through. Glad everything is alright.