Thursday, November 04, 2010

My girls

Today we had Parent/Teacher conferences.
I am sure that every teacher praises EVERY kid to their parents.....
But I am so very proud of my girls and what their teachers had to say, I just have to brag a little.
I started with Elsie's teacher, over at Prospect.
As far as Elsie goes, we meet before school starts...not sure when it was, I think May or June, and make a plan for what goals we, me, her teachers, and her therapists, think that Elsie should have for the year.
So when we go to PT conferences, we go over how well she is following that plan.
And she is rocking it!!!!
She has grown so much this year.
I think she has grown the most socially.
She initiates playing with her peers now, asks for help, does pretty well with new faces (like substitutes).
According to Ms. Jennie, Elsie is the SUNSHINE of her day.
She says Elsie gets off that bus with the biggest smile on her face every day and no one can help but have their day brightened by that smile.
She also said that Elsie rules the roost!
She says that everyone wants to play with Elsie.
Everyone wants to help Elsie.
And she is very grateful to everyone too.
She is very polite with her manners...and she makes sure we are too.
They sure love Elsie over there....and how could they not???
*
Cassi is doing very well too.
I was not sure how this year would go.
I love her teacher.
Cassi loves school.
But her teacher is very BIG on reading.
IN fact, she doesn't care if the kids turn in their homework packets or not (I haven't told that to Cassi)...but you can't NOT read!!!
That is a must!
I agree.
But Cassi was never the big reader, like Madi was at her age.
So I wasn't sure how it would go.
Well, turns out I worried for nothing.
Cassi is an excellent reader, with great comprehension.
It is fun to see Cassi pick up a book and read out of her own will and choice.
Mrs. Davis told me that Cassi is the one that the other girls want to sit with and play with.
She said, and I quote "Everyone wants to play with Cassi, I just wish they would all ACT like Cassi too!"
She said that Cassi is very good at following instructions and listens very well.
I told her that Cassi was my wild/goofy one at home, and that I was glad that she was good in class, and Mrs. Davis seemed surprised that I said she was my goofy one.
I am so proud of Cass and how she has really buckled down and worked hard in class.
Great job Cass!!!
*
My Madi Bell.
We have LOVED this school year.
Madi is a new girl.
Less stressed, less worried.
And she is doing very well.
Last year ended good, but I still wasn't sure we could gain back the love for school she once had.
But we are back.
Mrs. Summers was the right teacher for the job!
Madi is in a 4th/5th grade combo class, her being in the 4th grade.
The class was put together with kids who were easy going, hard workers, and nice.
That is what Mrs. Summers asked for her combo class, easy going, hard working, nice kids.
And it has been great for Madi.
First of all, she has always been 'old' for her age.
So to be with kids who are a year older, has been really good for her.
And Mrs. Summers has as classroom that is very inviting and loving....just what Madi needed.
Mrs. Summers had the kids fill out a paper to evaluate themselves.
She says it is fun for her to see where the kids think they are in class.
With a rating of 1-3, they were to write down what they thought...3 being the highest.
She gave herself good marks on a lot of the areas...a few two's, stuff like "Participating in classroom discussion" and "Showing neatness in my work"...Mrs. Summers said that Madi does participate sometimes...but she is very quiet and I told her it is probably because she doesn't want to embarrass herself, and Mrs. Summers agreed on that one.
We both agree on the neatness thing...
And she gave herself a 1 on "working well in groups".
Mrs. Summers and I talked about that...and we decided that in a group situation, Mad isn't one to make herself into the leader....and she is kinda quiet and kinda gets pushed in the background.
She is just a timid girl who doesn't want to embarrass herself or bring attention to herself.
Mrs. Summers says that she just LOVES having Madi in her class.
She says she is polite and one of the nicest kids around.
She tells me that Madi has many friends and she does very well following instructions.
*
So all good things from the teachers!
I am proud of my girlies, and all their hard work!
They even did some housework today after playing ALL DAY with various friends.
They are good kids and we are lucky to have them!

2 comments:

Emily Peterson said...

Oh, what wonderful girls!! I am so proud of them!

Books = Possibilities said...

Sounds great! You are blessed with wonderful children!