Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday May 25

(Don't look at the pictures if you get queasy easily!)

Well, the day started out fine.
We started doing more work on the house.
Getting some trim put in and bringing some more stuff in the house.
We have a bed frame that we were getting ready to bring in the house, but it was dirty so we were washing it off.
This is a bed that i want to refinish.
And I started thinking, if we get the bed and frame in....it will be forever before we get it refinished!
So I wanted to at least sand it with the sander to get the natural wood color.
So Madi, Dad and I started walking the bedframe back to the shop.
While down there i started to hear blood curdling screams!
I bolted up to the house.
I lost my shoes on the way up there.
Dad and Madi followed behind me.
I could hear Madi yelling "Don't run Dad!"
He hadn't heard the screaming so he had no clue why i just started running towards the house like that.
I thought maybe the headboard had fallen on top of Elsie or something.
Elsie and Cassi were just screaming.
I saw Elsie on the ground just screaming and pointing to the house.
I run in and Cassi had Porter and held his hand up to me and he had a finish nail through his thumb!!!
He was crying a bit, but not very much.
I have to laugh because the first thing he said to me was "What, now do I just have to have a nail in my thumb all the time????"
It was the cutest thing!
A real concern that he had :)
Cindy and Dave and Dad weren't too far behind me and Dad did what he could.
Tried to see if the nal would be easy to get out.
It was not.
It was in there good.
So we loaded him up in the car and Dad and I took him to the ER.
He was SO BRAVE!
Not any crying.
You could tell he was worried.....but he was so brave.
So brave!
We got to the ER and they all kept saying they couldn't believe how brave he was being.
The nurses were so sweet with him.
He sat there and watched cartoons and was so calm.
The doc came in and checked it out.
He numbd it up.
Port was so awesome again.
Dad has had those shots before (remember that nail in the hand incident), and he says they burn and sting and hurt a lot.
He was surprised that Port was so awsome through it.
We then got xrays that showed it right through the bone, with the head of the nail in the bone.
There are two way to go out.
Continue in the direction in was going, or back it up.
Well, there was much less to get through if we kept going the way it was headed.
And backing up might not take the same path it took going in.
The doc decided to try to pull it out the way it was headed.
But that meant pulling that nail head, which is just a little bit bigger than the nail, through the bone the rest of the way.
Ouch!
Port was so good.
Doc grabbed hold with his pliers, and got ready and pulled it out.
Again, he was so awesome!
What a brave boy!
Well, after cleaning it out and getting popsicles we had to drop by Walmart to get some antibiotics and pick out a Lego set that was promised him :)
That boy!
He is just so curious.....
Plus he has that Matthews blood in him.
Dave, Andy and Brent all sat and talked about what nails/staples/foreign-objects they had in what body parts over the years.
And many other Matthews names were named as well :)
It's just a right of passage I guess!
He said he didn't know what happened.
His arm just went up and pushed the trigger, and didn't do anything of course......
So, hmmmm, what would happen if I put my thumb here............
Apparently having a 'Safety' on your power tool means nothing to the Matthews boys!
But you gotta love them!
I do have to say, they get some work done!!!!!
We got so much more done today, even with a trip to the ER!
Lots of trim got up, we cleaned up the shop, got M&D's bed in....not the frame....I still plan to get that sanded first :)
We got the roll-top desk in.
Dave hooked the microwave up.
Lots of good stuff.
And some visiting time too.
It has been such a fun time to have these guys stay with us!
Andy and Meagan left about noon.
Poor Andy has not been feeling good.
I hope he feels better soon!
Also, when we got home with Port and started having lunch, I noticed that Cassi did not look good.
She was pale and cold.
She had laid down for a while when we were gone.....but she still didn't feel good.
I think it was the adrenaline rush that made her sick.
I mean she was the one who found Port with the nail in his thumb, and was responsible for finding someone to take care of him.
She was panicked for sure.
I am sure it was some shock too.
Poor girl.
She eventually started feeling better.
The Young girls all came to visit.
Kara helped Madi hang some stuff on the walls.
When Cassi started to feel better she and Aubree hung some stuff in Cassi's room.
Then Heather took the two big girls and took them to their house to swim.
The got a little bit of swimming in before they got rained out!
Back at home we worked some more....we also had lots of MayBelle playing time....
She's gonna be a spoiled kitty!
Madi found a handy way to carry her around with her, in her sweats pocket :)
Then we ended the night with some S'mores that Aunt Cindy made in the oven, and we ate them out on the deck while watching the rain pour down outside :)
It was pretty great.
Little Elsie bug has been so tired....she about fell asleep on the deck!
I sure hope they all get good sleep and are well rested for school tomorrow!
So Port has been doing good.
It was numb most of the day, and when it started to throb and hurt, I got him some medicine.
But he has been tough.
And was still able to put his Legos' together with a bandaged thumb.
He fell asleep good.
I am sure tomorrow it will hurt him pretty bad though :(









1 comment:

Emily Peterson said...

What a day, What a day, What a day!!! I'm so glad Port is okay - he is one brave boy! And definitely a Matthews!! :o)